Learn how to inject with FORTEO (teriparatide injection)
Please click to see FORTEO Delivery Device User manual to learn how to use Forteo.
Inject FORTEO in the thigh or abdomen once daily with the easy-to-use FORTEO delivery device. FORTEO must be injected. You cannot take FORTEO as a pill because your stomach would digest the medicine before it has a chance to work.
Before you try to inject FORTEO by yourself, have your healthcare provider teach you how to use the FORTEO delivery device correctly. Contact your Personal Support Specialist through FORTEO Connect™ for personal, one-on-one instruction. Please talk to your healthcare provider about appropriate injection site rotation.
Need additional injection information?
Review the FORTEO Delivery Device User Manual .
Things to know about FORTEO
- You can take FORTEO with or without food or drink.
- Do not freeze the FORTEO delivery device. Do not use FORTEO if it has been frozen. FORTEO should look clear and colorless. Do not use FORTEO if it has particles in it, or if it is cloudy or colored.
- Inject FORTEO right away after you take the delivery device out of the refrigerator. After each use, safely remove the needle, recap the delivery device, and put it back in the refrigerator right away.
- Inject FORTEO one time each day in your thigh or abdomen (lower stomach area). Talk to a healthcare provider about how to rotate injection sites.
- You can take FORTEO at any time of the day. To help you remember to take FORTEO, take it at about the same time each day.
- If you forget or cannot take FORTEO at your usual time, take it as soon as you can on that day. Do not take more than one injection in the same day.
- Do not use FORTEO after the expiration date printed on the delivery device and packaging.
- Throw away the FORTEO delivery device after 28 days even if it has medicine in it (see the User Manual ).
- The FORTEO delivery device has enough medicine for 28 days. It is set to give a 20-microgram dose of medicine each day. Do not inject all the medicine in the FORTEO delivery device at any one time.
- If you take more FORTEO than prescribed, call your healthcare provider. If you take too much FORTEO, you may have nausea, vomiting, weakness, or dizziness.
- Do not transfer the medicine from the FORTEO delivery device to a syringe. This can result in taking the wrong dose of FORTEO.
How do I travel with FORTEO?
Whether you’re going on a road trip for a day or two, or crossing the globe, traveling with the FORTEO Delivery Device can be as simple as following a few basic steps.
- Remember to keep your delivery device with you when traveling, for example in a purse, tote, or backpack.
- In addition to your delivery device, you will need to pack all the sealed needles you’ll need for the trip and a copy of your FORTEO prescription label, which is attached to your delivery device box. You may be asked to verify that the delivery device and needles belong to you.
- During travel, the delivery device can remain at room temperature, up to 77 degrees, for a total of 36 hours for each device.
- Even though the device can remain at room temperature for a total of 36 hours, leave it refrigerated until right before you leave.
- FORTEO can stay at room temperature for a total of 36 hours per device, but you should always keep your delivery device close by. Do not pack your FORTEO Delivery Device in the trunk of your car or check it in your luggage. This is to prevent exposing the delivery device to extreme temperatures.
- When you arrive at your destination, store your delivery device in the refrigerator right away, but never in the freezer. Your delivery device should always be refrigerated between 36 and 46 degrees Fahrenheit when you are not traveling.
- Only keep FORTEO out of the refrigerator while you’re traveling. Otherwise, keep refrigerated whenever possible.
Troubleshooting the FORTEO delivery device
If your FORTEO delivery device isn’t working as it should, please review the troubleshooting guide . For instructions on how to use your FORTEO delivery device, refer to the User Manual . If you still need help with the delivery of the device, please call FORTEO Connect™ at 1-866-436-7836.
How to store your FORTEO Delivery Device:
The FORTEO Delivery Device has enough medicine for 28 days. It is set to give a 20-microgram dose of medicine each day. Keep your FORTEO Delivery Device in the refrigerator between 36° F to 46° F (2° C to 8° C). Do not freeze the FORTEO Delivery Device. Do not use FORTEO if it has been frozen. Do not use FORTEO after the expiration date printed on the delivery device and packaging. Throw away the FORTEO Delivery Device after 28 days even if it has medicine in it (see the User Manual ).
Here is some important safety information you should know about FORTEO:
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them to show your healthcare provider and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
Still have questions?
Call FORTEO Connect™ at 1-866-4-FORTEO (1-866-436-7836).